Ingredients (use vegan versions):
- 2 cups dried black beans (canned if prefered)
- 8 cups water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon caribe or another ground hot pepper
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
If using dried beans, place beans in a large pan and
cover with water. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Simmer for 2 hours and drain.
Place beans in a large pan and add 8 cups water, garlic, salt,
cumin, ground chile and lime juice. Tie cloves in cheese
cloth for easy removal if desired. Bring to a boil; reduce
heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are
tender and soup is thick.
Mix in green onions and serve
with lime wedge.
This is a low-fat meal but it's very delicious.
Serves: 4-6 servings