Ingredients (use vegan versions):
- 2 and ½ teaspoon of dried active yeast, ½ teaspoon vegan sugar, ¼ cup of warm water
- 1 cup of warm water
- 250g (2 cups) white flour
- 250g (2 cups) of wholemeal (whole wheat) flour)
- 1 tablespoon wheat gluten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vegan sugar
- 15g (1 Tbsp) of non-hydrogenated vegan margarine
- 1 tablespoon of flax/linseed
- 1 tablespoon of rye kernels
- 1 tablespoon of pearl barley
- soy or rice milk for glazing
Note: 1Tbsp = 20 ml = 4 tsp, 1 Cup = 250 ml
Combine yeast, ½ tsp vegan sugar and ¼ cup of water and set aside for 10 minutes until frothy.
Combine all dry ingredients in a food processor.
Rub in margerine.
Pour in yeast mixture.
Pour in water.
Process until mixture clumps into a dough ball. If it doesn't clump, add water, one tsp at a time, until it does.
Turn out on a clean surface and knead. (~6 mins)
Put dough in a clean bowl and cover with oiled polythene.
Leave to rise ~1½ hours, until doubled in size.
Knead again (~6 mins) .
Fit into a large, greased vegan bread tin and cover with oiled polythene.
Allow to prove in a warm place, ~1 hour.
Brush with soy or rice milk.
Bake at 230C/450F for 40 mins.
Serves: 1 loaf.
Preparation time: 4 hours.